Re: [Tails-ux] #16990: Update our list of "Favorites" applic…

Author: Michael Gerstacker
To: ignifugo, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] #16990: Update our list of "Favorites" applications
Am Mo., 9. März 2020 um 09:59 Uhr schrieb ignifugo <ignifugo@???>:

> On 06/03/20 13:05, Michael Gerstacker via Tails-ux wrote:
>
> sajolida:
>
>> I'm also curious how
>> many of our users would have a good reason to use Thunderbird but do not
>> because they never used an email client. It's one of the reasons why I
>> like keeping Thunderbird in the list: it might teach some users that
>> they could use it.
>>

> I see it exactly the other way round.
> I helped so many relatives and other people setting up their email clients
> that i start to feel obsessed by them.
>
> I never used one and i think for most of the people i helped setting them
> up it would be much easier to use the webmail but they always used one so
> they think they need them to use emails.
>
> The more common those typical webmail providers like googlemail or gmx are
> getting the less you need these mail clients and i think if someone is
> doing some advanced stuff with emails then he will most likely find
> Thunderbird even if its not in the favorites.
>
> I more compatible with the vision of sajolida, for my point of view.
>
> I helped a lot of newbies people configuring thunderbird, because they
> want use PGP and they can't by webmail, so find yet configured in Tails
> with the addons is easier.

PGP is something i didnt had in mind!

Thats a good reason to keep Thunderbird in the Favorites.

> Just a guess but i think the number of Thunderbird users is smaller than
> some years ago and slowly decreasing.
>
> I think no.. but maybe we can find some data in the web to see :)

None of the statistics i found in the web seem to be comparable with Tails
because most of them have client, webmail and mobile in their statistic.
And depending on the use case and the age of the userbase the numbers seem
to be very different.

I dont have the link anymore because its some days ago already that i asked
the web but one bigger statistic i found for example showed a big
difference between different countries too.
Germany for example had the lowest amount of client users with 16% or
something and Spain one of the highest with 40% or something.

The client usage in most statistics stayed roundabout the same.
Most showed a small decrease towards mobile usage, very few showed a small
increase.

But like i said i dont think you will easily find numbers which could fit
for Tails users.

So i think as long as there is not a survey for Tails users it will need to
stay a guess.

Cheers
Michael