Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing: Secure Boot, GRUB, a…

Author: alienpup
To: intrigeri, Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing: Secure Boot, GRUB, and overlayfs
intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> our first USB images that support Secure Boot are out!
>
> Under the hood, they include two major technical changes:
>
> - switch the boot loader from syslinux to GRUB for EFI boot
>
> - switch from aufs to overlayfs
>
> Please consider testing them :)
>
> Here's how:
>
> 1. Download the USB image (.img) from
>
> https://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_feature-6560-secure-boot/lastSuccessful/archive/build-artifacts/
>
> 2. Install the downloaded USB image to a spare USB stick,
>    using Etcher (Windows, macOS) or GNOME Disks (Linux).

> 3. Start from this USB stick on various computers
>
>    In particular, we're interested in test results on:

>     - computers configured to start in EFI mode

>     - computers with Secure Boot enabled

>     - Apple computers, especially recent MacBooks where current Tails
>       releases don't start (#17049)

> 4. Do as much exploratory testing as you would like
>
> 5. Report back success or failure to this public mailing list:
>    tails-testers@???

> Cheers,
> --

intrigeri,

I downloaded and installed this secure boot alpha:

tails-amd64-feature_6560-secure-boot-4.2-20191221T1643Z-581be0523e+stable@???

and installed it to a 16GB Corsair Vega USB3 flash drive.

The only Windows 10, secure boot capable system immediately available failed to boot this image. Seconds into the boot process, a banner appeared advising "Device Authentication Failed".

I then configured the BIOS boot options for "Legacy", and rebooted. Tails booted the system normally with no obvious issues, save for a it's failure to detect a sound card (the only entry in the list of detected cards was "Dummy Output").

The system in question is an HP Spectre laptop. Output of command #lspci -nn is attached.

regards,
alienpup