Re: [pragmatique] proposed package list for pragmaOS

Author: ng0
To: pragmatique
Subject: Re: [pragmatique] proposed package list for pragmaOS
dvn transcribed 3.5K bytes:

> On 06/04/17 11:31, ng0 wrote:
> > This is taken from secushare gitlab and my recent, all over the place,
> > communications and findings:
> >
> > pre-system stuff:
> >
> > * plymouth
> >
> > Display Manager:
> >
> > * Either 'SDDM' (quasi-default in GuixSD) or 'LXDM'.
> >
> > X11 Window Manager:
> >
> > * Either 'xfce4' or 'GNOME'
> > I have a strong favor for xfce4 because of the reduced total size of
> > it compared to GNOME. TAILS uses GNOME for on-screen keyboard ability
> > in their Greeter.
> > The deciding factor in the end is how well we can either contribute
> > accessibility features to it or how much it already provides.
> >

> Yea, xfce seems like the best choice out of the two. I would prefer MATE
> over GNOME, I think.

Like KDE it's not available at the moment. But looking at the
meta-ebuild for Mate it looks like it could be anything between long
hard work and super fast packaging:
https://data.gpo.zugaina.org/wjn-overlay/mate-base/mate/mate-9999.ebuild
I haven't seen Mate in a while. Maybe it's better than xfce4 for general
adoption? We should compare it, and even if it's xfce4 now we can still
switch later. I expect it will still take some time for a version I'd
consider 1.0 as fullfilling the basic gnunet-fs distribution goal.

> > Software:
> >
> >   * GNUnet (system-service, gtk, fuse)
> >   * secushare
> >   * Taler clients (so far there are just web browser addons)
> >   * gajim
> >     * omemo plugin
> >     * otr plugin
> >   * Icedove
> >     * enigmail plugin (enigmail is working with the people of pEp now)
> >   * Bitmessage (?! PyBitmessage adds Qt4 and PyQt4, in addition to
> >     (currently) Qt5 for secushare...)

> PyBitmessage is the opposite of light, and not very nice to use
> either... It's also not very useful for people with limited
> connectivity, which is the main demographic that I am interested in. So,
> that said, I don't think it should be included by default.

I agree. And if you want it, it's only a "guix package -i pybitmessage"
away.
On limited connectivity, how do we determine the rate or limitation
GNUnet will have? I think the best is just to try something, and then
get feedback for it and in general to ask people to get in touch with us for
what their requirements are.